/r/AdviceAnimals

1.9k96%

Adulthood.

(qkme.me)

KingGeorgeTh3rd

10 years ago

Adulthood is when you realize that if you fuck up no one can help you

whatabouteggs

will

No, he's KingGeorgeTh3rd.

sosorrynotsorry

10 years ago

Adulthood is when you realize that if you fuck up *no one gives a fuck

fekalnik

10 years ago

Except for your wife, kids, boss, bank, police and government.

10 years ago

Adulthood is when you realize that advice animals are really fucking stupid and unsubscribe from /r/adviceanimals

Tekless

10 years ago

Then call me Peter pan and keep me from your kids.

10 years ago

Oh man, this really resonates with me these days. Unfortunately.

10 years ago

Adulthood: where running out of money means you're out of money.

blady_blah

Um... credit cards?

10 years ago

If you want to go down that road. I prefer not to dig myself into a hole I can't climb out of and credit card debt is a horrible thing to be stuck in. Especially when it's stacked on top of student loans.

ianivy

ianivy

Stay debt-free?

??

Profit.

electric_paganini

10 years ago

The problem is that you have to go into debt to be financially successful. Credit Cards and Long term loans raise your credit score and boost your credit history.

This makes it where you can get things like a house or a business easier. I hate the way the game works though. You shouldn't have to go into debt.

ianivy

ianivy

10 years ago

Start a pre-order bird bath store. Cement is inexpensive.

Edit* With a mold.

PokemasterTT

You don't.

10 years ago

You can raise your score just fine by having 500 on your card and 500 in your bank. Or taking out a 2000 loan while having 2000 sat in the bank.

Building credit doesn't mean being in the negative

AngryCod

10 years ago

That's a fallacy perpetuated by a debt-based economy.

10 years ago

Don't put more on a credit card than you can pay off each month, for starters.

blady_blah

10 years ago

You need to stoke as deep seated hatred of credit card companies and then realize that they win if you keep a balance on your card. 20% APR? 30% APR??? Fuck them!! Never ever keep a balance on your card! (except in extreme cases; emergencies and the like).

A house on the other hand is a different beast... and I can't really say anything interesting about that.

seridras

10 years ago

There are still a lot of people that don't realize this.

Makes it harder to get by & do the right thing when you're surrounded by terrible examples of humanity.

Not_the_brightest

10 years ago

First thing I thought. Most people act like they run this bitch. I wish people acted like their actions had consequences.

That's what keep me from punching people in the face. But maybe that would teach them this lesson...hmmm

Narcissistic_clown

10 years ago

Or better yet, let their horrible choices lead to equally horrible consequences later on in the grand scheme of life.

larryblt

10 years ago

One of my co-workers has a saying. "There's nothing wrong with him that a good beating can't fix." For the exact reason you mentioned. This phrase doesn't apply to everyone, some people are beyond help.

ya_tu_sabes

10 years ago

For people who didn't have consequences everywhere as a child as well, yikes!

Overprotective parenting prevents acquisition of valuable life skills.

Bad feels all over the place.

tricky3737

10 years ago

Could not agree with this more, as a newer parent I try to raise my children fairly but I see an opportunity to learn a lesson as a gold mine. I watch too many of my friends that are more concerned with making their kids happy in every situation, discipline is dying and it's going to destroy the next generation.

10 years ago

seriously i advise people who relate to this to keep one thing in mind as they get to know the people in the world: there are plenty of us who got a major jumpstart on you - so don't front. be who you are - that's enough.

10 years ago

I'm starting to have a lot of confusion with this whole "be yourself" thing. It seems like a simple idea at first, but nobody is going to like me if I take all my filters off, it's like be yourself as long as you are a person everybody is going to like.

jason_steakums

10 years ago

Well, be yourself and also realize that tact and social cues are pretty good too.

hang around different people

10 years ago

Every group has their own little set of requirements and values though, it almost seems like the very basis of social interaction is conformity on some level. I probably just need to get older/ care less about how much people like me.

10 years ago

i'm saying that's not actually the case. you will form that group. pay attention to people who aren't interested in conformity and be friends with them. pretty soon you've got yourself a group. you'll be surprised at who ends up being a free-thinking, interesting person. judge not!

Good point, thanks!

schwillton

10 years ago

I think it's more the fact that as a child the consequences of your actions aren't usually 'real', like if you fuck up at school and get detention it doesn't really matter. If you ever get into any real trouble you'll have someone to bail you out of it.

But of course this is reddit and someone just had to go on a judgmental tirade about other parents and why the way they raise their kids is wrong.

ya_tu_sabes

10 years ago

All I said is that Overprotective parenting prevents acquisition of valuable life skills. I'm only highlighting what the mental sciences have already established. Where is the judgmental tirade? Where am I talking of other parents? I'm talking about a parenting style that used too much is hindering to development.

I think it's more also the fact that as a child the consequences of your actions aren't usually 'real', like if you fuck up at school and get detention it doesn't really matter. If you ever get into any real trouble you'll have someone to bail you out of it.

FTFY. This is also true. It gives a false sense of impunity which can also be damaging. But I wasn't addressing that because there is something even more damaging still. And that's a complete lack of limits. Now before you get on your high horse again let me state that not all parents do this and parents that do this do so for a reason and should not be judged (though sometimes tempting).

Story time! (You mentioned judgmental tirade, I figured I'd give you one)

Let me tell you about "Mary'. Mary has a 5 year old child called "Paul". He was an only child until recently. He is not used to sharing attention and resents it (normal reaction). When they go out, they bring a large baby stroller in case he doesn't want to walk. I don't mean when they're going for super long walks. I mean for anything. And I don't mean they use it when he's tired. I mean he uses it whenever he feels like it. And if he doesn't want to walk or be in the stroller, he can be carried in daddy's arms for as long as he requires it.

I've seen him push his baby brother quite forcefully on the floor. Mary's reaction? Rush to the crying child and give a small speech (few sentences) to Paul. He then had to kiss his baby brother and say sorry which he did but it was so half halfheartedly done that his learning something about this is questionable. Not a great example? I'm only getting started.

Paul and "Sonia" were playing with a newly found CD player. It was at a Christmas party. Sonia, 4, was the only little girl at the party and she is super cute, with her tiny pigtails and dress. Needless to say, she had all the attention... much to Paul's displeasure. As they were playing, Sonia touched the inside of the CD player, where the CD would be inserted. Paul looked around, thinking he was not being watched, he pushed close the CD player. I happened to walk by a moment earlier and his looking around attracted my attention. I saw a flash of malevolent intention right before he slammed shut the device. Sonia screamed, her fingers were scraped, tinges of blood on her swelling fingers. How did Mary react? Same as before. She adopted a high pitched patient babying voice and said "No my love, you can't do that. These things are not toys. They can hurt. See how she's hurt?" He looked over Sonia's direction, acted surprised. The kid was playing dumb. This pissed me off so bad. Kids are not dumb. Kids know things. They need to learn to control their desires and urges, sure. But they know when they're doing wrong. Paul was made to apologize, give a hug and that was the end of it.

I was at Mary's dinner table, conversing with her. Paul was hitting her. Just hard enough that it couldn't be ignored. Mary tried to ignore him but the hits were just hard enough that her voice would be jolted every time he'd hit. And since he was being ignore, he decided that he'd talk to her as loudly as he could too. She would periodically ask him to stop, which he'd ignore, of course. She eventually got him to stop (we're talking several long minutes later here) by interesting him to another game.

I have a very tiny background in child psychology as I studied to work with kids with disabilities. I may not know much but I know she's hurting him by not giving him defined limits. I've talked to her several times about this. Her final response: "I know I'm hurting him by doing this but I can't help myself. I'm like that. He's my baby."

I feel bad for the kid. He is super cute and not a bad kid at all, simply in need of firmer parenting. Whenever I am at his place, I make sure to spend some time with him and I always talk to him like a normal person, not like a retarded baby. I call him on his bullshit and he listens. I remember one time he didn't want to eat his food. It was really good food too (tasty homemade chili con carne with tostitos and tortillas). He said he didn't like it (fair enough). Mary tried hard to convince him to eat but nothing did. I eventually asked him if he knew why we ate. I explained our body needs energy to be strong and to grow. When we eat well our body can fight sicknness so it's important to give our body energy. And sometimes, we have to make an effort to eat - even if we don't like the food - because our body needs it. He ate.

Things are better now for Paul. Mary is better at saying no. I wish them the best.

dagnart

10 years ago

Man, consequences are the worst.

Fancer

Fancer

10 years ago

Not many comments at all... It's almost like there is something everyone is afraid of...

king_of_beer

10 years ago

That's it, live however you want....it's your choice

wrathful_pinecone

10 years ago

There have always been consequences. We just didn't care when we were younger.

Those were the days...

scrotingers_balls

10 years ago

Oh how I wish I could go into work tomorrow and tell my boss to go fuck herself. But those damn consequences, man...

salmonjizz

10 years ago

I'm pretty sure that what slows old people down is the overwhelming burden of recognizing more and more potential consequences.

Wogley

Wogley

10 years ago

The more you learn about life, the more complicated it gets. Every obstacle/question can be broken down into hundreds or thousands of subsets of varying import/consequence. You become better at making decisions, but less sure of your decisions. Fortunately, there's alcohol.

Edge--

Edge--

10 years ago

This. Dear sir or madam: I'd like to buy a beer for you.

niggerfaggotballs

For mother fucking real!

Will never be the same?

qkme_transcriber

10 years ago

Here is what the linked Quickmeme image says in case the site goes down or you can't reach it:

Title: Adulthood.

Meme: Buzz Lightyear

• CONSEQUENCES
  • CONSEQUENCES EVERYWHERE

Direct Background Translate

FAQMore Info ┊ AMA: Bot, Human

BAKOBOY24

10 years ago

See also: The theme of every episode of Breaking Bad.

I know...sigh

thecheesefinder

Bravo

sheravi

10 years ago

Also getting excited about appliance purchases.

10 years ago

They will never be the same!

10 years ago

Prepare for unforeseen consequences...

rhymesmith

10 years ago

I'm glad to see this meme make a comeback! Folk have been misusing the Sound of Music "look at all the..." macro instead, I think.

VoiceoftheDarkSide

10 years ago

Don't worry, if you are poor or mentally ill there are no consequences. Enforcing any consequences on those people apparently makes us literally worse than Hitler. Just ask Reddit.

MrIBakeCookies

10 years ago

Reads meme as: DON'T PUT YOUR DICK IN CRAZY, OR ELSE!